K-5th Grade Choir
At Redlands Adventist Academy, all students in Kindergarten through 5th grade have music for thirty minutes twice a week. They learn singing technique, basic music theory, and performance skills. They are exposed to music from different cultures and different parts of the world. They learn about the joy of singing and making music through a variety of activities.
Students participate in our annual Christmas and spring music programs. Each program combines the TK-5 classes together, forming one large choir putting on a spectacular show involving fun songs and choreography.
5th Grade Music
- Beginning handbells ensemble — learning basic ringing techniques
- Participation in three concerts a year
- Beginning band program — open to all 5th graders
- Students learn basic music reading and playing
6th Grade Music
- Students learn part-singing
- All songs include a 2-3 part harmony
- Handbells - Vivace
- Students learn Ring Level 1 & 2 music techniques and how to weave four bells
- Enrollment is by audition and is limited to 18 students.
- Advanced beginning band continues the basics of instrument practicing, playing, and performing.
- Our junior high choir learns songs in three-part harmony and basic four-part. Students also participate in the annual Southeastern California Conference choir festival where 250 students from across the conference come together for a special concert.
- Jubilate — 7th and 8th grade
- Students ring larger bells and learn to ring treble bells using Shelley ringing and four-in-hand
- Level 2 & 3 music is the backbone of our repertoire
- Soundwave — 8th grade
- Students continue learning advanced techniques and move into Level 3 & 4 music
- Performances include ringing with Jubilate, graduation and other events
- Our junior high band is open to all 7th and 8th-grade players with instrument experience.
- The group begins playing full concert band arrangements as well as continuing with music and performance fundamentals.
- Disneyland Music Workshop
- Our junior high band students participate in an annual Disneyland workshop where they learn behind the scenes secrets of music and scoring.
- Concert choir is open to all students in grades 9-12. Students are exposed to different styles and genres of music including contemporary popular, classical, and older.
- Concerts are one-two per quarter and include our annual Christmas and Spring programs.
- Select chamber choir with membership based on audition only. This ensemble incorporates more acapella works and selections with up to eight harmony parts.
- Kantorei participates annually in Disney's Candlelight Processional and performs annually at Disney for park guests as well as other venues in southern California.
- Subito is open to students in grades 9-12 who have handbell experience or demonstrate the ability to learn quickly.
- Members participate in school concerts, the Southeastern California Conference Advanced Handbell Festival, and the Music Tour.
- Our select auditioned handbell ensemble, Bellissimo performs a wide range of challenging music at a high level of accomplishment. Members are selected based on audition scores and their history of striving for excellence in our junior high handbell program.
- Bellissimo performs yearly at the Redlands Christmas Parade, the Concordia University Invitational Handbell Festival, and other events in southern California.
- Open to all 9-12 grade students who have current band experience or intermediate music training on an instrument and pass an entrance interview.
- Concert band begins looking at more professional standards of practice, listening, musicality, and sectional unity.
- Yearly performances include a concert tour, fall, Christmas, and spring concerts.